Silversea unlocks authentic beauty in both polar regions
With 2018 marking 10 years of luxury expedition cruising for Silversea and its guests, the industry-leading cruise line takes the opportunity to highlight an array of polar expedition itineraries for winter 2019 and summer 2019/2020. The voyages will enable guests to travel deeper into the otherworldly landscapes of both Polar Regions, in ultimate comfort, as they journey closer to the authentic beauty of the world.
ARCTIC — WINTER 2019
In this beautiful realm of the polar bear, voyages aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Explorer will provide excellent opportunities for guests to witness destination-specific wildlife, unspoiled landscapes and rarely scene cultures on 9 carefully crafted itineraries. Among the highlights are:
• The rarely visited volcanic island of Jan Mayen, a haven for humpback and minke whales who feed in its waters, is among the attractions of the 14-day Silver Cloud voyage, departing on 18th June. This voyage sails from Reykjavik to Tromsø, and explores a host of bucket-list destinations in Iceland and Svalbard, Norway.
• Isolated Bear Island in the Svalbard archipelago, a nature reserve of steep cliffs and some of the largest bird colonies in the northern hemisphere offers opportunities for guests to spot puffins, guillemots, black-legged kittiwakes, and other remarkable seabirds. Two 10-day voyages aboard Silver Cloud, departing on 2nd July and 12th July, will incorporate stops in this spectacular destination and will focus on Norway’s extraordinary Svalbard region, with its stunning fjords, glaciers, and wildlife.
• Silversea’s first crossing of the Northeast Passage — a legendary sea route through the Arctic Circle, along the coastline of Asia and Europe. The voyage departs on 10th August from Nome for a 25-day journey to Tromsø aboard Silver Explorer. This unique itinerary encompasses the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Wrangel Island, where polar bears and walrus roam and migratory birds nest; Champ Island, known for its otherworldly landscape; Tikhaya Bay’s Rubini Rock, with its stunning basalt columns; the archipelago of Severnaya Zemlya, famous for its impressive fjords and majestic glaciers; and the northernmost archipelago in the arctic, Franz Josef Land, with its historically important sites.
• The route of the Norse in their explorations of Greenland will be traced by a pair of expeditions: Silver Cloud’s 12-day voyage between Reykjavik and Kangerlussuaq will depart on 14th August, while Silver Explorer’s 15-day sailing from Reykjavik to St. John’s (Newfoundland) will depart on 20th September. These history-focused itineraries also offer opportunities to spot whales, witness massive glaciers and be awed by dramatic landscapes.
• Explorer John Franklin’s ill-fated search for the Northwest Passage is at the heart of Silver Cloud’s 26th August, roundtrip sailing from Kangerlussuaq. This 16-day Explorer’s Collection voyage is designed for history buffs with an interest in the great age of polar exploration, as well as those who appreciate untouched scenery, majestic fjords and exceptional wildlife.
• The world’s longest fjord, Scoresby Sund, is among the highlights of Silver Explorer’s 5th September expedition from Tromsø to Reykjavik. The 15-day adventure weaves together the glacial treasures of the Svalbard Archipelago with the delights of isolated East Greenland.
• The possibility of witnessing the northern lights is offered aboard Silver Cloud’s sailing from Kangerlussuaq to Quebec, departing on 11th September. The 14-day journey is timed to optimise guests’ chances of glimpsing this spellbinding celestial phenomenon, along with other wonders of nature.
Arctic Air Offer*
An exclusive Arctic air promotion is now available on new and select Arctic voyages booked until 30th November 2018. The promotional offer includes free economy roundtrip air, or reduced business-class air for flights from select Australian gateways, plus free transfers between airport and ship. Guests opting to make their own travel and transfer arrangements can take advantage of an AU$2,500 per person savings off of the published fare. Terms and conditions apply.
ANTARCTICA — SUMMER 2019/2020
Silver Cloud and Silver Explorer will also explore Antarctica, with 12 inspired itineraries sailing mostly from December 2019 until February 2020. Each is designed to optimise the chance for up-close encounters with sunbathing seals, frolicking penguins and whales emerging from the frigid waters of this untouched paradise. Following is a snapshot of the highlights:
• A trio of new extended 12-day voyages to Antarctica will be operated by Silver Explorer. With departures on 5th December, 4th January and 21st February, the ship will sail roundtrip from Ushuaia for Antarctic Peninsula and the South Shetland Islands.
• Five of the ever-popular 10-day Antarctic explorations, sailing roundtrip from Ushuaia, will be offered aboard Silver Cloud, with departures on 10th December, 19th and 29th January, and 8th and 18th February. Destinations include the Antarctic Peninsula and the South Shetland Islands.
• Both Christmas and the New Year can be celebrated amid the Earth’s ultimate winter wonderland on Silver Explorer’s 18-day voyage to Antarctica, the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and more, sailing roundtrip from Ushuaia on 17th December, while Silver Cloud’s shorter 15-day holiday sailing to Antarctica, the Falkland Islands, and more, departs on 20th December.
• The Falkland Islands and South Georgia will be the highlight of an 18-day voyage to Antarctica aboard Silver Explorer, sailing roundtrip from Ushuaia from 3rd February. Silver Cloud’s 15-day roundtrip voyage to Antarctica from Ushuaia will depart 4th January and will also feature a call in South Georgia.
Antarctica – All-Inclusive Package*
An all-inclusive Antarctica package is now available on new bookings made until 30th November 2018. The value-rich offer includes free international economy roundtrip air, business-class air upgrade for AU$4,998 roundtrip for flights from select Australian gateways, free charter flights between Buenos Aires/Santiago and Ushuaia, free one-night pre-cruise hotel stay, and free transfers between airport, hotel and ship. Guests opting to make their own travel and transfer arrangements can take advantage of an AU$1,500 per person savings off of the published fare. Terms and conditions apply.
“We’re shining a light on a selection of polar voyages that are carefully designed to deliver meaningful travel experiences that both thrill and inspire,” said Conrad Combrink, Silversea’s Senior Vice President of Strategic Development for Expeditions and Experiences. “These adventures are perfect for the inquisitive traveller who appreciates getting closer to nature and uncovering a destination’s raw beauty, intriguing wildlife and hidden cultural treasures.”
Specialist experts lead immersive shore excursion for guests from each of Silversea’s expedition ships. These passionate and knowledgeable professionals offer informative lectures, discussions and recaps on board, in addition to guiding Zodiac® explorations and leading hikes and nature walks ashore — all of which are included in the price.
Aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Explorer, guests enjoy ocean-view suites, gourmet cuisine, the personalised service of a butler, and a generous selection of all-inclusive shipboard amenities, including complimentary beverages, wines and spirits served throughout the ship, a stocked in-suite beverage cabinet, and unlimited complimentary Wi-Fi.
View Silversea’s range of voyages to Antarctica: https://www.silversea.com/destinations/antarctica-cruise.html
View Silversea’s range of voyages to the Arctic and Greenland: https://www.silversea.com/destinations/cruises-arctic-greenland.html
*Voyages and special offers are subject to change and may be withdrawn at any time. Terms and conditions apply,
For more information, contact your travel professional or Silversea Cruises on +61 2 9255 0600 or 1300 306 872 or visit www.silversea.com.
SOURCE: Silversea Cruises